Abby - Norman,, Oklahoma
Themes: Christianity

As a Christian I’ve always said that I don’t want to be a match, I want to be Zippo. Because, as a Zippo, my flame- or the passion I share for Christ- will never go out. A match, on the other hand, stays lit right after you strike it, but will eventually taper off. Growing up I came to realize that is how I could look at my beliefs, because after going on a Mission Trip or retreat with my youth group I would come back charged and with a full, powerful flame. Of course, after a few weeks, or even a few days, that fire would die out, only to be resurrected when I went on another get away. So it then became my mission to figure how to keep my beliefs strong and unwavering.

To me, Christianity is a way of life, as well as a religion. In order for me to grow in my walk with Christ, I need to act like he did. I mean, I realize that I’m going to slip-up virtually all the time, but I still have to give it my best shot. And I also have a few major focal points that I tend to try the hardest to achieve. The three biggest ones are selflessness, loving my neighbor, and patience. So when I feel that ugly monster jealousy rear its head I can pray, and then I’ve learned to focus on something that I own. Then that pair of shoes, or new car fades away to the back of my mind. Or if I start getting really frustrated, like when writing a paper, I now know to just leave it for a little while and then come back to it. Clearing my head usually does the trick.

Of course, now you have the hardest part- become more like the Zippo. Because if Jesus is an eternal flame, then a Zippo is the next best thing, right? For me, it’s hard to remember that I need to pray everyday, and that I have a bible that I should use to do my devotional with every night. But those are the things that keep you flame going, so without them you’ll never get any lighter fluid! It’s really tricky, this whole “keeping up with your beliefs” business. One way I’ve found helps is having an accountability partner. My roommate is mine. She is always the first one to pull her bible out right before we go to bed. And since we’ve been best friends for the past seven years, she isn’t afraid to be blunt and remind me to buck up. Another thing that I’ve found is not to judge anyone else. It just brings you down, and won’t change anything. Focus on your flaws and how to fix them. Because then you take a big step from a cheap BIC to the most valued of the lighters, a Zippo.