Meghan - Norman, Oklahoma
Themes: equality

I believe in equality. I know you probably do too and don’t get me wrong, I’m glad that you do, but I have a question. Why does belief in equality not create equality? All of my faith is centered in equality, my Baha’i faith, my view on the world, friends, lovers, pets, food; everyone and everything should get an equal chance to be anyone or anything. This does include that Thai food restaurant that your girlfriend nags you to go to, but you won’t because you don’t like “ethnic” food. It doesn’t matter that you supposedly don’t like ethnic food; you should just try it. Especially the red curry.

Most people might not agree with equality the way I do, but I do believe that most people believe in equality between races, sexes, and ages. That is, that everyone should have a fair share to whatever joys, wonders, and opportunities that this world holds. It’s hard to find something wrong with that belief, if I do say so myself, but I know there are people who don’t agree. I truthfully respect that because everyone should have equal right to believe in what he or she chooses. I can’t tell anyone that my view is right, obviously. It’s important that I can’t and don’t say my view is right because it’s a form of isolation. Isolation is something I don’t believe in. Intentional isolation might block someone from his or her equal right to believe in any amazing thing he or she wants.

I can thank you for my belief. Yes, you. You and me have something in common. We share this condition of being human and I have to say, it’s pretty awesome. I look at you and I see hope, love, fear, sadness, anger, joy, pleasure, and pain. You are a rainbow of emotion, but guess what? I am looking at myself. I am just like you. I may experience things differently and we are different people, but we share so much. We have the same characteristics. If we were an equation, you would equal me. I believe that is one of the most beautiful ideas. Thank you, again.

I try not to limit my views on equality. I believe in it in the “big sense,” like for health care, education, welfare, race, sexes, and all the things that people should have, but I also believe in equality between my friends and family. I should be equally honest and loyal to all of them. I should share equal kitchen cleaning duties with my fiancée. I should pet both of the cats equally as much, even though Kingston Rohani is nowhere near as cute as Jupiter Long. I should choose seafood equally as much as I choose Mexican food, despite my slight allergic reaction to shellfish. It shapes my personality. I believe in its importance in the world and in my life. I believe in equality.