Mary - Oklahoma

I firmly believe that everything happens for a reason. In my short lifetime, I have been

through many trials and tribulations. Many of which I have no way of explaining. When I was in 9th grade my mom forgot to pick me up from school one day. That night my dad told me that my mom was suffering from severe alcoholism. I was in shock. I had absolutely no idea that this was going on. I was forced to keep this a secret from my sisters who are ten years older than I am and this tore me up inside. Five months after this rude awakening I found my mom passed out in our basement under a blanket. I thought she was dead. I had no one to call but my sisters and the secret was out. The summer before my sophomore year in high school, things were out of control. Finally we convinced my mother to check into rehabilitation. My sisters drove down to be with me while my dad drove my mom to Mississippi where she would live for the next six months. Things at home were finally settling down but as I entered into high school, I quickly learned that my peers wouldn’t be so understanding. Everyone in town knew my father, the respected attorney, as well as my mother, the sophisticated accountant. We were easy targets.

Around this time I was diagnosed with chronic migraines and ovarian cysts and eczema, all caused by stress. I was back and forth between doctors while trying to keep up with my school work. It was nice to not have to take care of her for once and I finally started to feel somewhat normal besides all my health problems. Three months into her treatment, my dad, sisters and I had to make a trip to Mississippi for “family week”. We went through 7 days of intense therapy with my mom and other patients. It was one of the worst experiences of my life but also one of the most eye opening.

Finally, I got the news that my mom was returning home but it was against medical

advisement. When she got back it was better for about a month and then it was like nothing had changed. She continued to put her life and mine in danger. She even showed up to her grandson’s first birthday drunk.

High school soon came to an end and it was time for me to go to college. Things were going pretty good in my life with an occasional migraine and eczema breakout. My mom still drank and we still didn’t get along but I met someone who helped me cope with everything. Harrison, my best friend and boyfriend made me appreciate everything that had happened because it made me who I am today. He held my hand through everything and told me that it was going to be ok. My mom began to get worse and I began to fall apart emotionally because of what she put me through. As a result, I lost my best friend. We don’t even speak to each other anymore. It breaks my heart every time I think about what I lost.

This is just one chapter from my life but it is a very important one. It is where I learned that everything happens for a reason and God will always have a plan. I believe that everything with my mom happened so that I could understand this life lesson. I will never question God’s plan no matter how hard it is to get through because everything he chooses for me is molding me into the women I was meant to be.