Christie - Lenexa, Kansas

German Boy=American Boy

People walk in and out of our lives everyday unnoticed. When we meet someone who keeps us thinking about them long after they’re gone, it’s something special. I believe best friends come from the least expected places at the least expected times.

When Dominik first came to Kansas the summer of 2005 from Germany no one could have guessed the impact he would have in our lives. My group of friends was just beginning to come together as one group. After Dominik arrived, the bonds were created easily. It seemed as though we could not have found a more perfect person to become our friend. He always knew the things to say to make anyone smile. The entire year he was here I never remember him fighting with any of us and he always avoided the normal high school drama.

I had the chance to get to know Dominik on a personal level. He was living with my boyfriend and Dominik was dating my best friend. The four of us could be seen everywhere together. With this grew an even more remarkable friendship between us. We became each other’s best friends.

It was not only our group of friends who fell in love with him; the whole school was able to see how amazing he was. He was 2nd runner up for prom king after only being at our school for one year. As time went on, everyone started to dread the day he would have to leave. When the day finally came, all of us went along to the airport with him. Everyone was bawling (yes, even the guys) and we all stood huddled together until we saw his plane take off. None of knew when we would ever see him again given the fact that he lived across the ocean in a separate country.

Dominik taught me many valuable lessons. He taught me how to value friendship and live every moment to the fullest. He will never be forgotten by any of our friends. As fate would have it, Dominik has come to the U.S. once since he left on July 8, 2006. The four of us also had a chance to be together again when we traveled to Germany. Because of him, my life will never be the same.