Blair - Keller, Texas
Themes: setbacks

I am not a math girl. Actually, I am not only horrible at it, but I also despise it. My sophomore year in high school, I had an algebra teacher named Mr. Killam. I barely survived his class, but I squeaked by and made it out! Apparently, I was not done with Mr. Killam because my junior year I had him again for Pre-calculus. I was so discouraged because I knew that this would be a really tough class, and I was right. I was usually an A/B student, but this time around I was failing.

My Mom played Bunco every Thursday night with a group of women, and one was a young woman named Jessica who happened to be a math tutor. After realizing I was headed downhill fast in pre-cal, I started to go over to Jessica’s house every week for an hour to work on my homework. Afterwards, we would just sit and talk. Jessica was so sweet and we had so much in common; I didn’t think of her as my math tutor, but my friend and role model. After a while I started babysitting her two sons, and this enriched our relationship even further.

On December 31, 2005 my Mom got a call. Jessica, her husband, and their two sons had been in a horrific car accident that killed everyone but Augie, who was 18 months old at the time.

I believe that everything happens for a reason. I believe that I am not good in math for a reason; I believe I was in Mr. Killam’s class again for a reason, and I believe that my Mom was in that Bunco group for a reason. I believe that the reason was for me to get to know Jessica and her son who died, and spend time with them before that tragic day. That was the day that formed how I live my life everyday thereafter.

I believe that we are put in situations and do the things we do for a reason. We may not ever find out the reason why things happen, but I refuse to believe that it is all just consequence. Romans 8:28 states that, “All things work together for the good of those who are called according to God’s purposes.” Often, I think of life as a puzzle, and all of the pieces -good and bad- are needed to make the picture complete and meaningful.

By believing that things just happen and there is neither rhyme nor reason leaves me with no hope. I have hope for my life because I know I am here for a reason, whatever that reason may be; and consequently my life has meaning. A good friend of mine thinks that we go through things that are very unnecessary and we would be better off if they didn’t happen. This is the easy way out. Regretfully, his life is an incomplete “puzzle”. He refuses to believe, and I refuse to not believe.