Amy - Dayton, Ohio
Themes: love

I believe that my great love was meant to last a lifetime. When I was four and he was ten, I fell off of a wagon during a hay-ride and my brown-eyed boy saved me. When I was seven and he was thirteen, I was on a tire swing in my back yard and I fell into a dirt pile that was full of wasps, my brown-eyed boy picked me up, wasps and all, and carried me to the house. He made me a bath with oatmeal and told me a story about a princess while he pulled out the stingers. Later, he held me in his arms as I cried while his mother pulled the stingers out of him, he told me a story about a magical piano. When I was fourteen and he was twenty, I went hiking with the brown-eyed man’s family, two days later I was in the emergency room with poison ivy on my face. I couldn’t scratch, so my brown-eyed man came home from work he took the top off of his 1976 hard top Porsche and drove me around on country roads so that air would heal my face, in March. When I was sixteen and he was twenty-two, the brown-eyed man and his family came to visit, and my jokes made the laughter appear in his eyes, he touched my head with the palm of his hand. When I was eighteen and he twenty-four our families went to the beach, where he and I floated on rafts and talked of cabbages and kings. My brown-eyed man kissed me, sitting on step four near the waves and under the moon. When I was twenty-one and he was twenty-seven, I went to his wedding, and when we danced, my brown eyed man and me, he dried my tears. I haven’t seen him since the wedding, except for in my memories and dreams. If I close my eyes I can still feel his hand upon my head and his lips upon mine and I believe that my great love was meant to last a lifetime.