alex - Durango, CO, Colorado

This I believe

What do I believe? A question that I have never sat down and thought about before. It’s true that I believe in a lot of things and that being from a different country has sparked some beliefs rarely seen in others. But there is one thing that I believe in my heart, and that is that is everyone has a hero. You just have to sit down and think about who it is. My hero is not as drastic as spider-man or superman; it is someone closer to earth. This person has rubbed off on me and helped shaped the person who I am today. He is an old man, stubborn and loving. This person is my grandfather.

He is not a likely hero and he certainly is not superman. But this man is close to me and his life’s lessons are there to be learned. He grew up in England under a family with not much money. He was a middle child and moved to Australia to grow up in a camp. At the age of fourteen he started to work, then decided to move back. Today my grandfather travels the world. He has been to every continent at least twice except for Antarctica. He brings back a thousand pictures and a million stories. From Morocco to Spain, and from Italy to Ecuador my grandfather seems to have been everywhere.

As I grew up my grandfather called me his golden boy because of the golden colored hair on my head. That has long since changed and I feel like I let him down in some way. Every time he came back from one of his trip I would imagine myself there alongside him on one of his journeys. I have only ever had one opportunity to go with my grandfather and those are some of the best memories of my life. He is getting on in years and my fear is that, that trip will be the only trip I ever take with him. But my grandfather has inspired me to become a journalist, so that I might visit the places he has. My grandfather is my hero and my inspiration. This I believe.