Josefin - Umeå, Sweden
Themes: work

I believe in turning every obstacle into an opportunity

For as long as I can remember I have been quite fond of them. Those oval, yellow fruits that make me feel warm inside. Ok fine, I might be exaggerating. But do not worry, I will tell you what’s so great about them. They have a story to tell, and it will change you as a person. They do not only taste good, they can also teach you a lesson for life.

You might be thinking right now that lemons are nothing else but yellow fruits that can be used only for making salad dressings, but let me tell you otherwise. Imagine yourself sitting under a lemon tree on a hot summer’s day when suddenly – a lemon falls down on your head. What do you do?

I say, when life gives you lemons, make lemonade. It is an old saying and it means that you should make the best of what you’re given. The lemons that life hands you may vary in size and colour. They are all different and what you learn from them changes from time to time.

I believe in turning obstacles into opportunities. It’s easier said than done, but it’s vital. No one can tell for sure, but perhaps everything does happen for a reason. If not, it can be helpful to believe so. When something bad happens you have no choice but to try and see the good things. Hopefully you have learned something from the experience.

The story of when I realized the power in lemons began not long ago in a place where I spent a lot of time during the dull days in school. I was in the 8th grade and me and my friends were hanging out by the school nurse’s office, like we always did. I was sitting in front of a door and without a warning the door opened and hit me really hard in the back. I wasn’t badly hurt but the school nurse wanted to take a look at me anyways. When she had examined my back she said that it was in good condition, but that I was welcome to sit and chat some with her.

A quarter of an hour later I was still sitting in her office chatting about this and that. I was so happy because I could really talk to her. And she would listen.

In the middle of the conversation I noticed an embroidered panting that said “When life gives you a lemon, make lemonade”. The saying really spoke to me because of what had just happened. I had a door slammed in my back but that lead me to a new friend.

From that day on this saying helps me to appreciate the good times in life but also helps me to move on when something bad happens. So when life hands you a lemon, should make lemonade. This I Believe.