Frida - rundvik, Sweden
Themes: setbacks

Have you ever had the feeling of frustration of not getting anywhere? That you are working very hard with something and it’s not working and you have to start all over again? This is what happens to me when I play a videogame. I get stuck on a difficult level and I have to go visit the wizard to get the right password before I can go and defeat the boss, then I can move on. It feels like it takes forever to find the wizard. Is he in the marsh? Furthermore the path to the wizards is full of hazards; first I have to pass the giant monkeys and the snake with the fire breath. And when I get to the wizard he gives me a riddle that consists of a dragon, a bowl and an onion. I have collected all the weapons and special abilities and now I am prepared to meet the boss. Of course the boss is not a walk in the park. I can only hit him on the head after he has gone berserk and tried to hit me on the head. He is more powerful than me and it takes forever to overpower him. It’s so frustrating but when I have finally defeated him its so satisfying! And that’s why I keep going because even if it’s frustrating sometimes, it is so rewarding and fun.

In real life I have to deal with many bosses; it can be an unreasonable teacher, a difficult report, trying to impress the job interviewer. The wizard doesn’t always have to be the same he could be my mom trying to help me or an inner journey I have to undertake to make myself ready, he is my guide and helper. I am my own videogame, I have my inner demons I have to tackle. Armed with knowledge I can figure it out. I know where I want to go, I know my path to inner happiness, that state where everything is in balance and where it just says click and life is good. To get to that point I have to pass through different levels in life, one is to find a job that suits me and the wizard advises me to take one that helps preserve and develop what’s me, like my creativity and happiness. I get advice from the wizard but ultimately it’s me it depends on. I have to decide for myself.

Like in the videogame I think I have to progress in life. It’s not fun to be stuck in the same place all my life. I want to move to the next level. I don’t know how many levels I have left but I’m playing to the end. I found the connection between life and a videogame. In both I want and have to progress to feel I have done something well and to feel joy and satisfaction with my life. Like me you all need to find that path to your own contentment and happiness. Life is like a videogame. This I believe.