daniel - South Carolina, Sweden
Themes: carpe diem

This I believe

Everybody who has seen “the dead poet’s society” knows what carpe diem means, seize the day. I have learned to do this not only by watching that movie but also by realising that there is so much more to life than what I first thought, and that every day can make my life richer.

I’m 18 years old and all my life I’ve been very active in all kinds of sports. Soccer, hockey, ping pong and running are some of the things that I have tried. My goal was to improve myself every day, and in order for me to do that I practised a lot, and that was the only thing I really wanted to do. Until one day four years ago. I was running towards goal, in the last soccer game before the season started, and a tackle hit me hard. My left leg was broken; sports took up the most of my free time but not any more, because for six months I couldn’t do any of the activities that I loved.

Six months of rehabilitation instead of enjoying six months of what was going to be the most important soccer season so far. So what did I do with this extra time? In the beginning I did nothing different, I still went to practise despite the fact that I couldn’t participate, and it was really hard for me to see the guys in the team training and still not be able to play along with them. After some time I made up my mind. Something had to happen; I couldn’t just go around wishing my leg wasn’t broken. But what could I do instead of playing sports?

Then one day I found an old guitar in my mother’s closet. I started to play along with a song that I liked and after a while I had learned to play a bit, and I was amazed that it gave me the same feeling like when I was practising soccer, the feeling of getting better. That feeling was awesome and made me see that I didn’t have to compete against others to get something back, and that even the smallest thing can be meaningful.

In those six months I also tried to play chess, I learned to juggle and most importantly I paid a lot more attention to my schoolwork. I like to say that I, from that incident and on, seized every single day. It’s not completely true but at least I know that I can.

I think that people have to see things from a more positive angle, so that they can take advantage of every moment. It took me a while before I, mentally, had gotten over my injury and finally could see the things I missed out on. I think I truly made something out of those six months first when I realised that complaining didn’t help me getting better but that a positive viewing point does.

So my advice is; make the best of the time that has been given to you, and seize every day! Carpe diem

this I believe.