Austin - Durango, Colorado

I believe that we have a false idea of beauty in today’s society. The popular image is that woman are only thin and wear skimpy clothing while men are shown as very strong . We have lost the idea of being yourself. If you are not what the media says you should be, you do not have good looks. We look at what is on the outside of a person and not inside. A simple smile or kind deed is now less important than appearance. We have lost sight of true values and only see people’s outer shell, not their inner-good.

For the majority of my life I have been affected by these false ideals. Just because I am skinny and not very muscular some people have seen me as less. I have not had good “physique” in many people’s eyes. I was one of those kids who was always chosen last in PE. I was chosen last just because I do not appear as strong as they think I should be. Even though I do not agree with the modern idea of good looks, at times I do try to fit into them. Years of mocking can do that.

Women are by far the most effected. The problem may start during childhood when girls play with their dolls and Barbies. When they play with their Barbies and think, “ I want to be just like Barbie, sexy and popular.” However if they did grow up to be just like Barbie their bodies would be out of proportion. When they get older they see celebrities who are skinny, rich and famous. Instead of choosing a good role-model they want to be like the rich and famous. They start to think that being a good person isn’t as important as being sexy and popular. It is only sexy people get on TV and on magazine covers. Soon their outer image is what matters most.

TV is full of commercials advertising diets, weight-loss pills and, weight-loss machines that are being advertised by beautiful thin models. When you really think about this, are selling the product, or the looks it gives you? We now think of being over-weight as bad and that you are ugly if you are over-weight. It does not really matter if you weigh more than the models, if you are a truly good person inside. Each person is unique and not cut from one mold.

This is what I believe, that we get caught up in who the world wants us to be and not who we really are. So when you see models, actors and, actresses think to yourself “ is that really what I should be?” Don’t loose sight of what really matters in this world, and that is being all that you can be and doing what you can do for all of those around you. The choice is up to you if you want to be yourself, or who they want you to be. The choice is yours, so choose wisely.