Samuel - Blanchard, Oklahoma

This I Believe: Do What You Want

In life we all have decisions to make from the little ones like what type of coffee flavor I want today; to the major ones that lurk in the background of society such as whether abortions are ethically right. These situations are where my belief resides. When I was in government class my senior year of high school issues were always leading to abortions and the rights of women, and as a man they don’t directly involve my life, but when asked if I was pro-life or pro-choice, I didn’t have a definite answer. My only defense was “Do What You Want” and I was ridiculed by my peers and instructor for not minding the national problems, and taking a side. I learned very quickly that everything can’t be black and white or right and wrong, but that shades of grey are mixed in, and the “Do What You Want” seemed to fit right in the center of the argument. I started to add my belief to multiple questions I always had, and everything always seemed to go well. There was no regret to why I did what I did.

Now, I feel I don’t care about a lot of things I really should, but it makes my life easier and less stressful. I’m a college student now there is more on my plate then I ever thought I could swallow, but in decisions of whether to finish a paper or go out on the town with friends it usually ends up with me back at my first question; do I “Do What I Want” and go have some fun, or is it that what I actually want to do is to finish college and make thousands of bucks with a degree. To me money is what makes fun happen, and even if I don’t finish the paper, it’s not like I haven’t ever stayed up for the night to finish an assignment.

The “Do What You Want” lifestyle I have invented for myself definitely doesn’t fit with the struggle to achieve greatness college throws at you, but if everyone else would “Do What They Want” no one would have a problem with the next person flunking out or blowing stuff off. The way I think is not for everyone, and I believe everyone would agree with that, but if you try to argue with me I will just say “Do What You Want” and believe what you want. I’ll leave feeling like I win the battle every time.