Mark - Helena, Montana

This I believe

I believe that education will be the salvation of humanity. Ignorance may be bliss but bliss also implies a certain level of detachment or disengagement with your surroundings. I do not believe that our place in history affords us the luxury of being “blissed out” of this world. Current events require us to be engaged with the world, informed by it, educated about it. The state of modern society demands that in order for our species (and many others as well) to survive we must make literate and educate every child, woman and man on this planet. The kind of global evolution that our planet is capable of and I believe ripe for will best be facilitated and accelerated by the true unfettered education of everyone.

Ours has been referred to as the information age. Despite that we don’t seem to be very well informed. For instance in my country people know very little about their history, their government or their environment. This has been playfully demonstrated over and over again by Jay Leno with his “man on the street” queries of the general public regarding matters of common knowledge.

I encourage everyone to engage and embrace the world in which you live. I challenge all of you to educate first yourselves and then everyone else around you. If nothing else teach by example. I believe that the problems of this world are really very few. They may be vast in scope but we all know what they are. Not even the efforts of a hugely wealthy man like Bill Gates seem to have much of an effect on global issues. One man with a lot of money cannot begin to do what an entire world with an education could. If we are going to to heal the wounds of this world it is going to take all of us to do it. I believe that we are poised on the edge of another renaissance, a global renaissance this time and I implore all of you please ………..teach your children well.