shuhan - NEW YORK, New York

Have you ever been in a situation like this? Someone asks you to do a challenging task that hardly anybody can do. What will you say to that person? According to a study, about 93% people will say “No, I can’t.” without even trying. Moreover, 99% of the people who are strongly willing to try are able to carry out the task. I believe that people have immeasurable potential power to do what they are strongly eager to do. I have believed this deeply since I was little. It’s the source of power that prompts me to advance.

This belief has been growing inside of me since I read an article in a newspaper when I was 9 years old. This article gave me ideas about the power of potential. The article told a story about a two-year-old boy’s mother who went out while her son was home alone. One block away from her apartment, she saw her son climbing onto the balcony railings by himself. As soon as she noticed her son was in danger, she began to run toward her apartment. Her son was about to fall from the railings! She used all her energy to cross the crowded street wearing only a pair of sandals in order to try to save her son. Fortunately, at the last moment, she got right beneath her balcony. When her son fell down, she caught him in her arms and he was unscathed. This mother used about eleven seconds to cross the crowded street which was about 100 meters wide. Her amazing speed, that had stunned everyone, was considered a miracle and was admired by thousands of people. I realize there is nothing we can’t do. We all have immeasurable power inside of us even if it is not explored yet. This mother’s deed tells me that if you really want to do something, your potential will burst out and grant you inexhaustible power to achieve it.

An episode which happened in my elementary school makes this belief in potential power rooted deeply in my mind forever. I am always a good student. Nevertheless, I wasn’t extremely marvelous when I was in 3rd grade. In China, people consider education the most important thing to a person. Especially, my family has many high expectations of me. For this reason, they always like to compare my grades with other good students’. If I didn’t get the first or second place, they would feel a little bit unhappy. While I was in 3rd grade, I hadn’t entered the first three places for the whole semester. My family was disappointed because of this. I felt depressed too. To make everyone happy, I studied much harder after that and some good news came up after the next test. I got the first place with 100% while most of my classmates failed the test since it was very challenging for us. Good news kept coming. I got 100% on the next 7 difficult tests. Everyone knew me as the “little genius” in school. One of the strictest teachers I have ever met—-Ms. Cold(That’s her last name. Also she never praised any students) smiled happily at me and said “I should award you a huge flower.” (Flowers in schools mean the greatest honor for students.) Everyone in my family felt proud and delighted for me. I got all of these honors by exploring my potential power. From then on, my belief in potential has become the source that prompts me to keep advancing.

I believe in the immeasurable power of potential and this belief is necessary for our progress. Our world would become better because of this belief. Don’t forget! Next time someone asks you to do something difficult, don’t just tell him you can’t. Have confidence in yourself and tell him with your confident smile, “Yes, I can do it.” Then, try your best to explore your potential and wait for the good news of your victory. The power of our own potential can help us achieve the goals we strongly desire by prompting us to advance! In this, I believe!