Greg - Quogue, New York
Themes: sports

Have you ever heard of someone being accused for using steroids? In today’s sports world, it is hard not to hear of it because someone is always being accused of using steroids whether it is the guy hitting the winning home run of the World Series or the soccer player scoring the winning goal of the World Cup. This information is all over the news and it is setting bad examples for young athletes. People should accept the fact that these athletes are hard working winners and deserve this instead of always accusing them for something they didn’t do.

As you may know, there have been many controversies with who the real winner is of the 2006 Tour De France. The Tour De France is one of the biggest cycling races where people come from all over the world to compete. The original winner in the race was an American racer named Floyd Landis. Floyd Landis was then accused of using performance enhancing drugs to help him win the race. Once this was discovered the information was on the news all over the world. Many people started to criticize Landis and accused him of being a cheater. Information was later released that Landis suffers from a hip problem called osteonecrosis. According to the National Osteonecrosis Foundation osteonecrosis is linked to steroid use. Now the runner up Oscar Pereiro is being accused for using an asthma drug during the race. They are not sure if it was medically checked and allowed but they will investigate it more. This shows how false information can easily get out and people start getting accused for things they may have not done.

Along with professional athletes being accused of steroid use, young teenage athletes are also being accused. Professional athletes are role models that need to set good examples for young athletes. One reason that young athletes think it is right to take steroids is because in the news it says that these professionals are using these drugs. That is why it is important for people to get all the facts before they start accusing because it can ruin the athletes reputation along with the sports careers of the kids who look up to these athletes.

Even though it is wrong more and more people are going to be accused for using steroids as time goes on. Athletes should be able to win a championship because of their hard work and training. Just because someone is good at something they shouldn’t be accused for using steroids. Why can’t we be a winner simply because we worked harder than everyone else and tried our best?