Billy - Remsenburg, New York

I see them at church, in the street, and in the woods. I don’t know them, I don’t talk to them, I don’t wave hello. The one thing I did to them was judge them. The homeless count in America is over 3.5 million. These are people just like us who maybe didn’t have the money or they couldn’t get a job and we judge them because of that. They are dirty because they have no shower. They are in pain because they sleep on pavement instead of a bed. They cry alone because they have no one to comfort. What do I believe? I believe we judge people that are less fortunate than we are.

I prejudged the homeless because they are different than me. I know some of them get there by being drug addicts or by being sick or even having mental illnesses. The thing that tugs at my mind though is that I know some are there just because they didn’t have any money at the right time. Or they had no one to help them when they needed it. These people should be helped out and not cast aside like aliens in our neighborhood because the truth is that if we don’t help all this is just going to get worse not better.

I made friends with homeless people through my church and my family. I help out with a program called Maureen’s Haven. I feed the homeless and give them a place to stay for the night. It is truly heart wrenching when I see my friend who lost her identity on the street and had alcohol problems ask for a bite to eat. They die in the conditions they’re in. Already during this winter several homeless people have frozen to death out in the woods and we complain how warm it is!

I don’t understand why we judge them. It is probably because we never get the time to know and understand them. If people took the time just to talk to them they would see they can be some of the most generous people in the world. They gave us one of their kittens and begged us to take it so it wouldn’t become feral and die. We have that cat still and it shows how big the homeless’ hearts really are.

We say how we love our family and friends. We say we help out others. Then why can’t we share some of that love for some people who truly need it the most? Why not take out some time and make some food or donate some money to give away. For without our help these people might just get to live another day. So if anyone sees a homeless person on the street asking for some cash. Don’t just give them the change in your pocket; make a real donation that can maybe get them another meal or a night to keep warm with a blanket. This I believe.