dinesh - moore, South Carolina

Topic : I believe my father is living a good life….

At the age of 57, as I sit down and think about my life, I realize what a good life my father has lived.

Born in a small village in India, his life has been full of struggle from the very beginning, but this struggle made him a strong and determined person.

His younger years were full of poverty and hence passed working in rice fields and studying at night. He went to a textile college, Victoria Jubilee Textile Institute, in Mumbai. During the days he went to college, his afternoons and evenings passed by walking distances ( to save transportation money) to do 2 tuitions and at night he would eat left-over food and study.

He began his professional career as a textile engineer and rose to General Manager Level by the time of his retirement. Sincerity and hard work is what he gave to his employers. I remember him putting his life at stake by breaking open a door when there was a fire in the cotton mill where he worked, to avoid excessive damage.

My parents were married for 58 years. I have seen him support my mother in his own way. My mother passed away 8 years ago but I still see love, agony and loneliness in my father’s eyes.

He has always been supportive of his two sons and their families. A medical situation has struck me in the last year and he has been my head cheerleader.

He did not spend money on himself but he has been very generous in giving money to his children, grandchildren and great grandchildren. My parents have helped many of my cousins and their children in their education by providing monetary help and advice. He just finished building a Center for Interactive Learning in the name of my mother in our village in India.

My father is 86 years old. Last 6 years he has been working in retail stores paying Social Security when 99% of citizens at that age collect social security.

My father may not have lived a glamorous life but he certainly lived a meaningful life by always working hard, caring for people around him and overcoming obstacles. I believe this is a good life.