Ryan - Madison, Wisconsin

Music

I believe in the power of music. It is a large piece of my life and a huge part of others lives. It can relax you and take your mind off whatever its on, if you let it. The world has been affected by music in ways I don’t think it even (the world) understands. There are so many kinds of music that have brought happiness to almost every person in the world at one point or another.

Ever since I was a baby I have listened to music. My parents said I fell asleep to Elton John and U2 in my small years. I began my collection of Beatles CDs when I was 5 years old and so far it has amounted to 7 Beatle albums and a love for rock n’ roll. But since then I have expanded my tastes, so-to-speak. Everything from Van Halen to Miles Davis, Jurassic 5 to Townes Van Zandt, now crams my itunes library. But that’s only half of it. There is also the music I play that takes up a big part of my life. I have been playing the Bass-Guitar for about a year and a half and it takes up quite a lot of time in my life. But that’s just me and to think people play music for a living. They must have very little time for anything else and it must capture their life. The interesting thing is, they don’t care because it’s their life!

Now I wasn’t around in Vietnam or the Renaissance but if I understand correctly, then music was a way for people to express themselves. Through music, people led a more or less, kind of revolution during Vietnam and gave the Government quite a deal of heat, but that’s just what I’ve been told. Also, during times of slavery, weren’t messages passed around by song? Again, I never visited during this time, so I can’t really say for sure. People of great musical influence that died long ago are still alive in the memories of most and still VERY famous. Take Mozart for an example. Who hasn’t heard of Mozart? But he has been dead for many a year. Music has been used as a tool and will again, it has and will influence the way our world is run.

If you think about it, there are more genres of music than I count. This is because nobody even knows them all. How could they? If you keep thinking for a moment, you will also realize that probably everyone in the world has a favorite artist. It may be a Sitarist in India to Bon Jovi, and they all have probably been influenced by music in some way. I don’t doubt that even the indigenous Bushmen of the Kalahari have music of their own. That is why it is my opinion that music is the largest and best provider of joy in the world. I think that that similarity should taken advantage of and be used as a tool to bring people together.

I believe in the power of music because the influence it has had on me and millions of others all over the planet. How it can relax me and loosen my mind, the way music can control your emotions. How it has done something for every body on the planet at least once. And lastly the influence it has had on the world’s governments and cultures. This I believe.