Nick - Durango, Colorado

I believe in the charms and imperfections of a perfect individual. As I watch what is going on in this world around me it is hard not to see clones. Sometimes my school seems just like that, a continuous onslaught of slightly different clones all stemming from the same 5 or 6 originals.

It is genuinely hard to be unique because of the stifling labels that suck and choke the creativity and the originality out of our society. We are not all born clones of course. I see the process all the time now that I look and realize it is happening. Now consider the wonderfully intelligent kid from around the block. He realizes his talents but also unfortunately, realizes the biases thrown against him by our new culture. It is no longer hip to be smart, to be loving, to be different. He realizes he can achieve more short term by fitting into one of the various cookie cutter humans. He starts on drugs to get into a “popular’, a “cool” group and destroys his better, original form. As you can see people get sucked into these molds by there drive to achieve more and satisfy their insecurities, in essence their drive to self improvement in itself lowers these individuals to societies low, low standards.

This is a scary thing happening, and it breeds hate, violence and imposes stereotypes on those truly wanting to be unique. Martin Luther King Jr. sums this up with my favorite quote, “Cowardice asks the question, “is it safe?”. Expediency asks the question “is it popular?” But conscience asks the question “is it right?” And there comes a point when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular, but one must take it because it is right”. I think that that quote somes up what it is to be unique, and also how hard it truly is to be your own person. This has dramatic effects outside of Small Town, USA, where I currently reside. Some of these effects of this “cookie cutter nation” are scary and just being realized. These problems will have to be dealt with soon, so that my generation and the generations to follow do not have to live within the limits of the new media generated suedo-society.

I see my era as a crisis, a time of great importance to the human race. I believe we can get through this crisis with some perfect genius spawning from many imperfect individual.