Logan - Durango, Colorado

I believe animals have feelings and therefore can feel pain; most scientists do not share this belief with me. How can it be that animals can not feel human-like emotions, when a lot of animals live with humans daily. Animals can learn human behavior form being exposed to it; scientists also disregard this fact. Scientists commonly and routinely perform painful experiments on animals in laboratory settings. Animals can feel pain and they can feel human-like emotions.

The fact that animals can feel human-like emotions is disputable among the scientific community. However some do believe it, but don’t want this to be known for fear of being accused of anthropomorphism. Anthropomorphism is a form of scientific sin. I don’t believe that animals don’t have emotional feelings, it does not seem possible.

My opinion is that animals can learn behavior from the people around them. My cats are very calm, and that is because my family is calm. I also notice that when something bad or exciting happens, my cats get excited or jumpy. My cats also know when their dinner time is according to our family dinner time schedule. It is interesting that my cat did not do that when I received him. That is evidence that animals can learn behavior.

Scientists perform very painful experiments on animals. It hurts me because I think animals can feel pain. You can tell by the look in their eyes when something painful happens to them. How can animals not be feeling pain when they limp and protect a hurt extremity. In my opinion, scientists are committing anthropomorphism when they hurt an animal in a controlled situation. Scientists need to watch the warning signs that an animal is in pain such as whimpering. They should stop hurting animals for experimental purposes.

It kills me to see an innocent animal in pain, or rejected from society, named as an invalid. They can feel the sensations of love and compassion, and they need companionship just as we humans do. We need to recognize this amazing fact, and accept animals as citizens of our world. I love animals and I will fight for their rights until they are respected and loved in the same capacity as humans are.

Logan Westbrooke