Elizabeth - Durango, Colorado

This I believe

I believe showing generosity and kindness to others is a key role in living a happy life. If everyone could try a little harder in their day to day life to be more respectful and considerate of others there would be amazing results that everyone could benefit from. It’s not a hard thing to do. Why not hold the door open a little longer for the person behind you? If you see someone drop something, help them pick it up! Eventually it will come back to you and you’ll feel better for it.

Sometimes I get so wrapped up in my own problems it seems nothing else in the world can possibly be more important, including other people. I’m fortunate to have a supportive and generous family, namely my aunt and uncle, who keep me in their priorities no matter what the circumstance. This past year they have let me into their home, and their lives and I would say they are a prime example of generosity and kindness. It is important to know that no matter what the circumstance, others should always be treated with kindness.

Treating others with kindness isn’t that hard to do, either. It doesn’t take anything extravagant or life-changing to improve someone’s day. I know that every time I get a hug from my little cousins in the morning it gets my day started off right. If a friend calls when I’m sick it helps me that much more to feel better. The more kindness you show towards others, the more it comes back to you.

I believe happiness comes from the happiness of others and that we all have to work to make it happen. It doesn’t take much, just a little effort and being aware and considerate of other people.