Joshua - Norman, Oklahoma
Themes: golden rule

I have always considered the Golden Rule to be a statement of the utmost importance in my life. “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.” A simple phrase that speaks volumes, it makes me consider how I would feel if I were standing in someone else’s shoes. Although in some situations I sometimes do not adhere as quickly to the Golden Rule as I do in others, I believe that it is imprinted in my collective persona and will remain with me throughout my years because of the person that taught me the value of stepping outside of your self.

My mother has been the source of my moral center ever since I can remember. She has been the person that has taught me how to be a caring and compassionate human being. When my parents divorced when I was three years old, it was my mother that was there for me and guided me to become the person that I am today. The Golden Rule became a fundamental motto in my life because of the way in which my mother taught me to cherish it and realize its importance. Selfless and considerate, my mother always puts others before herself. She has always been able to help me with any problem or situation that I can not solve by myself. During times of my life where I have been angry or frustrated at someone and am not able to understand why they are behaving in a particular fashion, my mother has stopped me from getting too red-faced and tells me that I may not know for certain what they are really going through in their own life and to consider the circumstances from their vantage point. Whenever I have called someone a name or acted out toward another person that did not deserve merit, she has always very rationally explained that if I were on the receiving end of a senseless taunt that I would feel hurt and I would consider thinking before acting next time.

I am certain that these characteristics that define some of the core assets of my mother and her teachings are a fittingly perfect definition of an individual that lives by the Golden Rule. I have tried and will always try to live my life in the ethically sound way my mother has instilled in me because I believe that everyone on this planet wants to be treated with humanity and respect. The Golden Rule will always be the idea that conducts my life.