DONG YON - Washington, District of Columbia
Themes: community

This I believe essay draft.

I believe you.

What if there is no belief between people? What if there is no trust between families? What if you don’t trust your mother? What if you don’t believe your school, company, newspaper or anything? How would you live? If earth is full of lies and no credits, what will happen in the future? Therefore, trust between people is the most important thing in our society and lives. I believe you. I believe what you say; I believe what you ask me to do.

There is invisible thing that connects and interpersonally sustains the relationship. This is the trust and the belief. It is invisible that we physically can not see it, but we do know it exists. In our society, there are already many things that rely upon credits and trust, such as: Credit cards, Bank accounts, Insurance, post office, and even all the products we buy and use daily. There are so many things that rely upon beliefs. People sent mails through post office because we believe that the post office will send my mail to other people. We buy a ice cream from the supermarket, because we believe that the ice cream is safe to eat. Bank lends you money because bank believes you to pay your money back. Our society is a credit society.

This type of things happens to me all the time. My parents trust me enough to pay my tuition for my college. My parents trust me enough to let me study abroad. My friends trust me enough to borrow their money or their properties. My friends trust me enough to let me stay in their home for a break. My neighbors trust me enough to share some foods or properties. Also I trust other people that I borrow them some property and help them. People cooperates each other and rely on one another based on belief.

I like to meet many people, meet some people that I have never met before. Meeting new people gives me another chance to make credit between people, and giving me another chance to believe you. I feel good when I am relying upon other peoples’ help and support. I also feel good about my self that I help and support them when it is necessary. It is great feeling that I have never felt before and it is different feeling from just happy, and sad, but thank and trustworthy.

If you imagine yourself that other people around you trust you as much as you trust them or even more. It is full of satisfaction and gives me responsibility on me. People believe me and I believe them. It is one of the best ways to sustain strong society and even nation. This belief on individuals becomes strong cooperation and support that makes positive unity for the nation. This kind of situation always results positive impact on the country and it will boost up the country’s physical, economical, and political power. Like this, there are some situations already happened in our ancient history. When the Pilgrim Fathers established the United States and right after the economic depression in 1920’s, there was the time of the cooperation that rebuild and unite the America. Even in Korean history, after the Korean War, Koreans were gathered all together cooperating one another to rebuild the community and now Korea become well developed country.

Finally, the strong beliefs between the people are necessary thing to sustain the society. If the belief breaks up in certain point, it will take a lot of time to recover.

We already see the example of broken credit between people from old stories. One famous story is a shepherd. There was a little boy who lies to the entire shepherds about the wolf. The boy lied to the entire shepherds that there is a wolf came to town so all of the shepherds prepared to run away with all of their sheep.

Later on, shepherds found out that it was a lie, but the boy did that lie again, and shepherds were ready to runaway again. The boy did that lie twice, and when really wolf came to town, no one trusted his recall of wolf arrival.

This is just a story that emphasizes the badness of the lie but it is actually significant to build society. People believe on other people and this is the system of our society how it works.

I believe you because you believe me, this I believe.