Tory - Durango, Colorado
Themes: nature

I ride my bike almost everywhere, in almost every form of weather Durango has to offer. I recently got my mom’s college road bike for Christmas, and I ride it as often as I can. It may not have the newest accessories or gadgets, but like Lance Armstrong said: it’s not about the bike. I believe in many things, but I guess that my simplest belief is that the best way to travel is by bike. It’s fast enough to be convenient, but you are still connected to the path you travel on. When I am in a car, I never get to fully experience my environment. I never notice the small details that make the journey worthwhile. One day when I was ridding home from school, I noticed the coolest fake snake I’d ever seen on the side of the road. It was bright green, but at the same time, it was so detailed it looked real. I’m not a big fan of snakes, but if they’re made out of green plastic they don’t bother me. I stood by it for a couple minutes, examining this strange

object, but I couldn’t bring myself to touch it. It looked like a real snake. Finally I told myself to being such a chicken and grab the thing. After all, I had never seen any green snakes in Durango, and I have lived here almost all of my life. Plus, it looked so real I thought it would be fun for an April Fools prank. I guess the joke was on me, because when I grabbed it, I discovered that we have green tree snakes in Colorado. Remember, I’m not a huge fan of snakes. I told my mom about the experience when I got home, and she said that I was really lucky to see it. They usually hide in trees and are almost impossible to find. Had I been in a car, I would have never seen that rare, unforgettable animal. It may seem like a small, insignificant event, but it really sticks in my memory. Besides, the way I look at it, you can’t lose riding a bike. It saves the environment, you don’t have to pay for gas, and there is almost never a rush hour or traffic jam on the bike path.