Carmina - Seattle, Washington
Themes: integrity

Honestly, This I Believe

In my opinion, one of the features we should honor the most in a person is their ability to tell the truth. One of the worst feelings is to know that you have been walking around foolishly believing something told to you that was not real. This is why my belief is in honesty.

When I was very young, my parents told me a story about my grandfather to cover up his death. They told me that he had gotten on a train and traveled to the other side of the world.

Even though I was little, the earth didn’t seem so big to me, so for many years I was secretly planning a trip to go and visit him. My master plan was elaborate and I was always excited about it. You can imagine how I felt when the day came that my parents decided I was mature enough for them to tell me the real story of where my grandfather had gone to.

The truth broke my heart and shattered the outlook I had on everything at that point in time. My parents realized that form then on should always give me the cold hard truth, even if it means hurting me.

Everyone has a part of them that feels like they should cover up a story that is hard to take. Often what happens is that you tell a part of a story but not the whole thing. This happens especially a lot with young children, as I’ve experienced myself. But if that person then finds out later the real tale, they could be more hurt than if you were straight forward with them in the first place.

Not only do I have personal experience with being told a fake story, but also with telling lies to other people. Sometimes you can get away with it, as I’m sure everyone has at one point, but then there are the times when that person finds out what they were believing was not real. I’ve been faced with a pissed off person perhaps a few times too many, but each time I’ve learned that it’s almost worse being the liar than being lied-to.

Many people forget the power of honesty. This ability should be acknowledged more often. It should be taken as a way of showing or giving respect. The next time someone tells you something that’s hard to handle, just remember that at least they didn’t cover it up with a fake story for you to blindly believe. Even though it’s the easier route to lie, I work on honesty everyday as my belief.