Taylor - Durango, Colorado
Themes: environment

The human impact

I believe that the human race is ruining the Earth. Every day when I drive into town, I contribute to the exhaust from millions of cars worldwide that are emitting poisonous gasses into the atmosphere. When I drive by a construction site, I see the ground being dug up and molded into a human creation that was never intended to go there. When I go past buildings, I see clouds of white, gray, and black smoke rising up into the air, contributing to the many pollutants already floating into our atmosphere. A gradient of dull hues darkening and depressing our world, the cause of extreme heat, bitter cold, and natural disasters all over the world.

It may not seem like my car is making much difference, but when combined with all the other cars, trucks, landfills, and power plants, my car is contributing. Whether I like it or not, I am donating my share of Earth – destroying supplies to the ultimate murderer, the human race.

Fires are stopped as soon as they start, and forests get congested with waste that should be disposed of naturally, until finally one spark brings down an entire mountain. Rain forests are severed from the earth to build multi-million dollar mansions, whole ecosystems are destroyed, predators and prey alike lose their homes to the one ultimate predator, the one ultimate devourer, the human race.

Entire countries are laid bare of trees, animals, minerals, oil, and valuables, shaved to the bone by man-made machines, while almost all of the benefits are shipped far away to very rich people that really don’t need more of anything.

The ground is being torn up, the atmosphere is ripped to shreds, and all forms of life besides humans are killed without notice. Cities are created from the Earth’s resources, pollution is created by cities, pollution allows fewer resources to renew themselves, and yet more cities and buildings are still created. The power plants that supply cities with electricity burn up non-renewable resources, and create more pollution to go back into the air and water, which then must be dealt with by using more resources and more electricity.

The human race is creating a vicious cycle that, if unchecked, will destroy the earth. Whether or not there is something that can be done be done about the problem, I still believe that the human race is ruining the Earth.