Kelsey - Happy Valley, Oregon

This I Believe: You Live and You Learn

A few of my beliefs have changed throughout the years; what I thought in previous years is no longer reasonable and what I believe now, I’m sure will change again in the coming years. As I grow older, so does the rest of the world it seems, and as a result of this, what once was clear as black and white, is now hazy and gray. One idea that has stuck with me throughout the years is the notion of living and learning through experience. I’ve found that it’s not enough to base your life on what others say and do. But the only real way to live is to experience life for yourself, on your own terms. Although learning from another’s mistake may create a greater success for others in the long haul, its strength difficult to realize how wonderful the good is if you’ve never experience the bad. It’s at that point of rock bottom where you find inner strength and the ability to overcome the set backs in life. This is the point where you are able to build a foundation to stand on and create your own latter of success.

In the last decade or so, the general public has seen more crime, corruption and misguided actions through the media than any other time in history. Former President Clinton had his fair share of negative media coverage during his scandal with Monica Lewinsky and that nearly caused a meltdown for the country at that time. A great man made a mistake and the whole country was willing to turn on him in a moment’s time. Through this escapade, he found a way to rise above the criticism and the negativity directed towards him. Internally, he found that living through experience and creating his own path in life was what he needed to do to survive in the public eye. Needless to say, most presidents from here on out will take into great consideration the consequences that Clinton received and thus, try not to duplicate his same mistakes.

Most would agree that to live is an adventure in itself, and the only way to fulfill that experience is to learn as much you can and take away as much as you can from everything you do. Its through the ups, downs, fast pace way of life, and speed bumps along the way, that a person will grow and be the best they have to offer to the world