Leticia - Dallas, Texas

Parents Should Be Valued

When I was eighteen years old, one night I had a dream that changed the way I view my parents. In my dream, I woke up looking for my dad all over the house and asking for him. I was worried, scared, and my heart was beating very fast. The night came in the and I was still looking for him. Next thing you know I was at his funeral. I went up to the coffin and I saw him. Tears started to come out of my eyes as I was remembering all the good memories we shared together. I was starting to regreat all the bad things I had done. I had not known how to appreciate him, or how to say thanks to him. I knew it was too late to show how much I enjoyed the things he would do for me. Seeing his face pale and his eyes closed even got me more depressed, and I felt goose bumps all over my body. It was so hard for me to accept that I wasn’t going to see him and hear him around the house anymore. I never had a clue that this was coming, or knew how it would feel to lose a parent. I can’t exactly explain the feeling, But it’s like losing your whole heart.

When I woke up from this horrible dream, I still had tears running down my face and that awful feeling in my chest. Many things came to my mind, but the first thing I did was pray to God. I told him how grateful I am to have my parents alive.

My parents have different ways of showing me their love. My dad is a very good listener and gives great advice. I’m not scared talking to him. I can tell him anything I want, or ask him anything because I know he won’t get mad. When my mother was younger, she didn’t have freedom because her parents were very strict. She doesn’t treat me the same way as my grandparents treated her. She has always given me freedom. I know it must be very hard for her, but I know that’s her way of showing me her love. Both of my parents give me their trust and support.

After the dream, I started to treat them with more respect. I say “thanks” for everything they do and give them a kiss on the cheek everyday with a big hug. I always tell them how much I love them, and they always give me a big smile. They’re just good parents who don’t deserve me to give them a hard time. I will always love them with all my heart because no matter what, they’re always going to be my parents. Nobody and nothing is going to change that.