Derek - Norridgewock, Maine
Themes: work

Adversity’s Power

I believe in the power of adversity to alter performance and motivate the mind. Consider this; your out in the woods when an unfortunate accident pins your arm between a cliff and a boulder, and your only chance for survival is to personally remove it. There’s only a minuet left in the game and your down by 5,your team was never expected to have a chance, when it got close it seems the refs called everything against you, you rose to the occasion and won anyway. These are the real life examples of feeling the pressure and overcoming adversity even when people tell you there’s no chance. This is why I believe in adversity’s power to suddenly change the mindset and able you to do things you normally could not.

Some people feed off it. Some people need it to do good, it’s like they don’t try until they know they have to. I happen to be one of those people. Its almost like there’s a button or something, it seems like things just don’t bother me until it absolutely has to. I can relate this mostly to school, but not exclusively. My entire high school career has been full of overcoming adversity when everyone thinks it’s not possible. I have the tendency to never get anything done early. I always have to wait right up until the last second to add the final period.

You notice people with this syndrome everywhere. How many times have you watched an entire sports game? How many times has it came down to the end and it was pretty close, and suddenly everyone gets serious, concentrates, and plays with everything they have. The mood changes. Viewers regain their posture. You find yourself balancing on the edge of your seat, slightly leaning forward. If you’re out there playing, thoughts suddenly enter your head. This is it, it comes down to now. And now that your backs against the wall and your on the verge of loosing, its time to put forth all your energy and emotion. Why does it work that way? Suddenly your team can move the ball at will to make it incredibly close if not win, and the fans are left there saying “Wow, why couldn’t they just play like that the entire game?”

I just don’t understand why it takes the realization that you’re on the verge of loosing something you’ve always wanted to obtain or retain, and now you’re going to give it your all? Why didn’t you just try that hard with that same intensity that entire time? I don’t know why it works like that but I certainly believe in the power of adversity to change your life. I don’t like the fact that I always have to wait until the last second to do whatever I have to do; it might have something to do with the fact that I’m someone who always needs instant gratification, meaning I want instant reward. I don’t like to do things and wait for the fruits of the labor, if I buy something I want it then, if I work I want my money, and if I work hard on something I want it to count directly after, not somewhere down the road. I believe people with a personality like that tend to be procrastinators, and in turn need that adversity to overcome obstacles. I could ponder it all day, but I’m sure I will never be certain- partly because I’ll never think of it all day, because I know I don’t have to yet.