Macon - clackamas, Oregon

I can honestly say I don’t know…

I have no clue what I believe in anymore. With our world in its current condition, under duress from mass media and lies upon lies, it’s extremely difficult to determine a rational belief. Being told one thing and seeing the exact opposite happen before our eyes is a heart wrenching situation to ponder the thought that our own world doesn’t trust us.

Everyday on the news all we hear is death this and more troops that. Americans aren’t stupid and weren’t born yesterday, we know there must be something positive coming out of all this. They know they would have more of our country’s support if we heard something positive ever once in a while so why don’t they give it to us? I guess I just don’t get why they don’t seem to care about the opinion of a nation that they give prestige for being able to speak your mind.

I know I don’t understand a lot of things. At first I thought it was my age and maturity that would segregate me from the older generation who would know more about what is going on in our world politically. I discovered that they were just as mad as I was, because regarding the biggest issue in our world today ( the war in Iraq) , all they heard was the same sugar coated mumbo jumbo that I was hearing and though there must be something more to it. My father particularly likes political discussions and is not afraid to express his opinion to other people in my family especially. My dad is one of the smartest people I know and when It came to talking about the war it seemed that I was making better points then he was. I had expected him to come back with some other piece of information that was intelligent that I had never heard, but I found that many times he could not think of anything else to say. At that point it dawned on me that if I could make a political point to a man that is so very into politics, that our country must be underestimating our intelligence as Americans.

People ask me my beliefs all the time; am I for or against? Pro or con? And most of the time I have to think long and hard and the conversation takes an awkward silence but, I always end up with the same answer and it is that I can honestly say I don’t know.