Paul - Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania

I believe in being given a fair chance. This whole fair chance thing is simple: nobody chose to be the person who came out of their mother’s womb. I didn’t ask to be born in America, as the child of two Lebanese immigrants. As a fetus, I didn’t handpick my brown hair or white skin. But it’s so beautiful that we humans can take what we are given and go with it. Self-acceptance is inevitable. I accept who I am because it’s all I can do. And conversely, it’s only fair that I accept others for who they are. This belief has formed the foundation of who I am.

I believe in dreaming. The Rolling Stones couldn’t have put it better when they sang, “Lose your dreams, and you will lose your mind.” Dreaming has been one of those constants in my life and, recently, it has indeed kept me sane.

I’m at a point in my life where I have no idea what I am doing. “Why am I here?” is a question that goes through my head every day that I wish wouldn’t. It scares me to think that I don’t even know what’s keeping me alive. And as this thought enters my mind, so do many others: the road trip I’m taking with my friends this summer; the smile on my mom’s face when I come home to visit. Dreaming is my reminder of the life I have and the life I aspire for.

I also believe in dreaming because it represents an equality shared by all of us. I respect others’ dreams because I, myself, am a dreamer. I have outrageous fantasies about whatever I please, just as I’m sure everybody else does. And the reason for this is because we can. There’s nobody who can stop us from dreaming, which I’d say is about as fair as it gets.

I believe in acting on dreams. The first time I acted upon a dream was last summer when I came across a girl I liked, and, to my luck, liked me. I wanted to ask her out on a date, but I was shy. There was no way I would be the guy in my dreams who went and talked to her. I convinced myself that life is so monotonous, and if any chance to escape its normalcy arose, I just had to take it. Besides, I spend all my time dreaming of moments like this, so why not see what it actually feels like? Well, I was sold on this reasoning, and the rest was history.

Acting on dreams is another example of something we are all given the right to do. Sure enough, being an actor, so to speak, is much harder than being a dreamer! And although I still get lazy and choose the latter, I will always know the reward of the former.