Patrick - Overland Park, Kansas

After reading Marilyn Manson’s biography The Long Hard

Road out of Hell I realized many things. It wasn’t until I read this book that I realized how close minded the majority is. I also learned how much peoples views vary differ around the country.

First off, just for having interests that differed from many people, at the catholic school he went, he was shunned and punished. On more than one occasion he was kicked out of school for being unique. I thought that your own personality and uniqueness was something you were supposed to discover in school. The thought of a school shunning some one for it was a real eye opener for me.

By the end of the book my views of society had definitely changed. I also became more open minded to peoples views and opinions. I had never thought that people’s acceptance of who are would be affected by where you are, but I was proven very wrong.

Now supporting and sharing my views is nothing. I love standing up for my political views, as well as my personal beliefs. My beliefs have become my own person I no longer need to follow a written and scripted religion. I have my own meaning.

I used to be a Wicca follower, but the book motivated me to look at religion. I did not become a follower, but I instead looked at them from a logical outside point of view. Looking at the overall picture of a religion you really start to think. After looking at this for many years I realized following a scripted religion is well, stupid. While I disagree with religion I respect all of them. I just think everyone should live by their own unique beliefs. From this point on I have and will continue to follow my personal belief system I put together.

When it all comes down to it I think the biggest thing I pulled from this reading was be yourself and NEVER let anyone tell you otherwise. Life is a long hard road out of hell and sooner or later we all have to travel it. However, the journey can’t begin until you except yourself for how you truly are.