Lauren - Lenexa, Kansas

Morning

It was a morning that I do not like to think about. I woke up, and went downstairs and talked to my dad and had a bowl of honey nut cheerios. I had finished the last of box, so I went outside to throw it away. I saw my mother’s car was still in the garage, I thought it was odd. The night before she had told me she had work in the morning. I told my dad “I think mom needs to be woken up.” He went upstairs to wake her, and she wasn’t breathing. My father yelled to my brother “Danny call 911!” All I can remember hearing is “Janet, Janet, Janet, wake up!” My dad tried to remain calm as best he could but you could tell how nervous he was.

The ambulance arrived two minutes later. I stayed in my room the entire time, I couldn’t come out. I couldn’t see my mom dying. I felt everything had turned upside down and I didn’t know what to do. After they put her on a stretcher and rushed her to the nearest hospital. My brothers and I drove together, and there was a silence the whole ride. Waiting in that room, where they deliver the news, was terrifying. What if it was bad news? I don’t recall what I was thinking about, but I know that my mind was going a million miles a minute.

Just sitting and waiting was the worst part, your thoughts eat up your sanity like it’s on a mission. The man in the white robe appeared in the waiting room, the barer of news whether it was good or bad. Luckily, he had brought the good news that my mother was still alive.

Through this experience, which has been the last four years of my life, I stay as positive as I can; I truly believe all you have to do is focus on the good things to get by.

My mother hasn’t been the same since the accident. She is still a loving mother, and has a big heart but, you would think almost losing your life would make you more appreciative of your life. She has a roof over her head, a nice car, three children that love her, a job, a good job for that matter, and the cabinets are never bare. She’s self-centered and ungrateful most of the time. I suppose she has a right to be sad she just went through a divorce and lost her father, but she still remains in the past and has a bitter tongue. She doesn’t understand that there are bigger problems out there.