Lakeisha - Overland Park, Kansas
Themes: death, family, love

My Grandpa Alexander

Have you ever lost someone and after their gone you realize life is too short, anything can happen? Well that is what happen to me, I lost a relative and it kind of changed my life. It made me put a different perspective on things.

When my grandpa died, it was the most horrible news I could ever get. My mama told me on Sept. 11. That’s not the only bad news I heard on that day. My sister got jumped at school that day. But my sister was okay, not my grandpa because he was dead! He had Alzheimer’s, it was sad because when he came to visit, he didn’t know who I was. I asked my mama how come he doesn’t remember me, she told me, sweetheart he has a sickness, he still loves you.

My step-grandma would tell us all the things he did, soon it got worse so my step-grandma admitted him to a nursing home. She kept in touch and told us what he did in the nursing home. One day she called and said he threw someone out of their wheelchair. When my mama tol me that, I didn’t even believe her at first. It is kind of funny though, but then it is kind of sad because he has a sickness.

For awhile my mom didn’t get any calls from my step-grandma about my grandpa. But one day my mom got a call on Sept. 11 saying my grandpa had pneumonia and the the people at the nursing home didn’t know, so he had it too long and died. But, the fucked up part about the situation was they had the funeral and didn’t tell my mom. My mom didn’t even know when her biological father died. My grandpa’s name was Alexander Green, he was such an amazing person, he didn’t deserve to die. My mama was just so devastated because she didn’t get to say goodbye, she wasn’t able to go to her own fathers funeral.

So a few months later my step-grandma felt bad about what she did so she said she would help us out and if we need money, that we could ask her. I would feel bad too, if I did something like that.

That’s why I don’t like nursing homes because they don’t give a shit about you. After that happened I realized that you can lose someone in a split second, don’t take anyone for granted because you never know when you are going to lose them, and don’t put any of your elderly relatives in a nursing home, because you might lose them quicker.