Amber - Mission, Kansas

“The Person It Has Made Me Today”

Everybody has their ups and their downs. Everybody has their mess ups and their flaws. My biggest flaw and mess up was my relationship with my mom and my step dad. I didn’t like them at all. It just felt like they were on the same team, like they were ganging up on me, trying their hardest to make my life a living hell. Which to be quite honest they have been doing a pretty good job. But after my experience and what I am about to tell you all of that has changed including my whole outlook on life.

When I was fifteen years old I was a rebellious teenager, like every other teenager. I didn’t get along with my mom what so ever and my step dad just made situations worse in my eyes. So one night my mom and I get in this huge argument and my step dad, like always, gets into it and it really had nothing to do with him. So I start arguing with him and he tells me to get my shit and get the hell out of his house, so that’s exactly what I did. I just mainly thought it was really messed up that my mom didn’t stand up and say anything to stop me from leaving. That shit really pissed me off. I went to my boyfriend’s house for about a week and then I had my cousin come and get me. She lives in Kansas City, Missouri. So I stayed with them for three whole months. The whole time I was gone I was out of school.

I mean don’t get me wrong, I missed my mom, sister, and brother more than you could imagine but I was set that I was not going back. So finally I called my mom and told her that I was ready to come home because I was having some personal problems. So a couple days later she shows up at my cousin’s house with two police officers. I thought that I was going to jail right then, but they were just escorting me home to make sure that I really went with my mom.

So my mom and I drove home and im thinking everything’s cool, you know back to the way things were before. Well we get home and then I go inside and sit down on my couch. No more than five minutes later someone rings our doorbell. My mom answers it and two different police officers walk in and arrest me. I spent a couple of days in jail and then the judge sentenced me to be placed in SRS custody, which I would be in a foster home (until further notice). So they transported me to my foster home the night of my court date. This none the less was three hours away in Wichita, Ks.

I was able to visit my mom every weekend. So she would drive to come get me every time. The only thing or flaw about it was that every single time she would have to take me back to Wichita I would cry because I wanted to stay with her. I just missed her so much. I really started to realize that I took her for granted. So finally I had court and they issued me to come home with my family and released me on September 30, 2005. That was the happiest day of my life. Ever since then I have been doing good and what im suppose to be doing.

Everything that I just told you was a good experience that has made me the person that I am today. Yea I didn’t like what I went through but I wouldn’t take the obstacles away because it just makes life more challenging. And plus everything happens for a reason. This was just my wake up call. My life learned lesson was you really don’t realize what you have until it is gone.