Chelsea - Happy Valley, Oregon

Support America

I don’t consider myself to be a very political person, and as I result, I don’t have many opinions in such issues, but there is one that I feel very strongly about: supporting American citizens; the very people who have helped to make this great country what it is. I believe America needs to start helping its own citizens before focusing assistance on immigrants from other countries, and those who don’t even live in or support the United States.

All my life, my family hasn’t had much money. I grew up having only the necessities in life, which didn’t especially bother me until I got older and really became aware of what was going on around me. It made me angry that people, who just came to this country with nothing, were living in nice homes, with nice things while my mother was trying to raise three kids all by herself with no help.

Though I am not against those wanting to come to the United States in search of a better life, I firmly believe they should be able to support themselves and not be a burden on our citizens and social services. I had the opportunity to visit Ellis Island and see how the first immigrants arrived to this country; it wasn’t pretty. They did not have the luxuries today’s immigrants have, yet they arrived legally, abided by the laws of our country and learned our language.

Then there’s the issue of the US going to the “aid” of countries who aren’t even asking for our help! The current war in Iraq has cost the citizens of this country an enormous amount of money and worse, thousands of American lives. I don’t understand why our government is so quick to run to the aid of others, when our own country is in such a sad state of affairs.

Countless American families are without jobs, medical insurance and homes. Our current elderly citizens are barely getting by, and according to government predictions, the situation isn’t expected to get any better for future generations. The days of the middle class is rapidly disappearing. While the rich are getting richer, the poor are getting poorer, and the middle class are becoming the poor. It scares me to think of where the citizens of this great country will be in the next ten, twenty, thirty years from now.