Laura - Washington, District of Columbia

Chatterbox

My name is Laura and yes I am a chatterbox! I used to be a bit ashamed about my love of conversation but now as a grown woman of just twenty years old, I have learned to embrace it! My shame used to lie in being a chatterbox because being one didn’t win me a popularity contest as a kid and was an alibi for the mean third grade boys to give me a “face wash” in the snow at recess. Being around people, talking to them, asking them questions, and letting them learn what I am all about is a lifestyle I follow and embrace!

I can still remember the day I decided I loved being the talkative happy person that I am! It was Homecoming my freshman year of high school and as I paraded around the gymnasium floor wearing my hunter green satin homecoming gown which I felt a tad awkward in since it showed off my round curvy hips that were something that none of the other freshman girls had. My date was in the bathroom again, and there across the room by the punch bowls, I saw my lab partner from class Jessica. She was standing in the corner with an expression on her face that one might have entering a gulag rather than a high school dance. In hopes of cheering her up, I gave her a big hug and yelled over the blaring music “Jess, you look beautiful!” Those few minutes of conversation then led to non-stop talking at a twenty-four hour diner later that night. Jess would become my first friend in high school and one of the dearest friends that I have to this day. For her, I will always be grateful because for the first time I really loved who I was and also loved the friend I found in her.

Now that we are regions away and at different colleges, I always love meeting people who have a glimmer of Jess in them. I believe that you have to make new friends your whole life. I believe you never know where your next friend may turn up. I almost think if I had been shy too talk to someone I wouldn’t have met half of my college friends and of course I would have never met Jess. It can all happen with a “hi” or telling someone they look beautiful in their homecoming dress. I believe in having more than one group of friends, you can never have enough friends and experiences to share with others. Some of the biggest lessons I have learned about the world and even myself have been from knowing people who have challenged me, thought differently and proved me wrong. People come into your life; exit your life, turn into someone you don’t like or turn into someone better than they ever were before. I believe that people always come into your life for a reason whether because they brought you joy or even if they taught you about heartbreak. I believe that to be genuinely happy, you have to accept that not everyone is always going to like you. Many people can love you but of course not everyone. I believe that you shouldn’t worry about people from your past. There is always a reason why someone stayed in your past and never made it to your present. I believe in always having a story to share. Being a chatterbox, I don’t think I will ever run out of stories to share! I believe that the best words you can speak to someone are telling that person you cherish and adore them. I believe in talking to your family and loved ones often. Now that I am halfway done with college, I appreciate nothing more than being able to come home to parents, family and friends who I love and of course I always make sure to share a burger with Jess at our favorite twenty-four hour diner.