Carrie - Shoreline, Washington
Themes: hope, purpose

I believe in dreams. Even though I have seen many dreams fail. I dreamed of being a professional actress as a career; failed dream. But I also dreamt of being a mom staying home and raising children in a loving relationship; so far that dream is coming true.

I watch other dreams fail and I watch as any sense of dreaming vacates a person’s being. My mother was never a dreamer, I don’t believe, but my father was. He always believed in the actress dream and never asked about the practical things.

Recently, however, my dad’s dreams have come to a crashing close and though he may be in some denial about this at 76 years old, he has lost his dreamer. He now asks me about the practical things in life and not about the fantasies. I nearly cried when I got off the phone with him that day, the first day he asked if there was enough money for things in my life, and realized that a part of him had died.

Dreams are important. They are what inspire people. Some dreams are more noble than others, but who cares. Those without the ability to dream are lost. I feel my father being lost at this late time in his life and it, after many sad things in my father’s life, is the saddest.

I continue to dream and dream big. I believe in dreams and in there coming true.