Jaydn - Clackamas, Oregon

This I believe

After being assigned this paper, there was one thought that immediately came to my mind. It is the idea of what our country is really meaning when they say “we support our troops”. It is one thing to give verbal support, or even physical support by going to different events and such. But with all of that being said, support also means making a financial commitment. I feel that America is big on showing support to our Nations military through the verbal and the physical, but I think that the donating of money gets over looked sometimes.

I know that through this class, I have seen from films the way things go at other army bases in different countries. Things such as our government being charged $99 per bag of laundry, and that same laundry that is supposedly being washed coming back dirtier than before. Also we have gotten to see the living conditions some of our troops are having to go through, and they aren’t good. Those men and women have signed their lives to our country, to serve. The least they could get in return is decent living conditions and clean clothing to operate in. That is no way to treat individuals who have given there all to defend us why we are all sitting back watching this unfold on television.

The idea of this topic really hits home with me because my older brother Kyle enlisted into the United States Army on September 11, 2006. He is going through boot camp right now at Ft. Benning in Georgia. When I see things like I did in those different movies in class it makes me angry to think that he will have to live through things like that. He has given up the next 5 years of his life, let alone his youth to serve for our country. I think that he deserves to have whatever he needs since he has given himself willingly in defense of our country and the freedom of the citizens who live here. Those citizens should be giving donations to the army because there are men and women just like them who have given their lives to maintain the lifestyle we have all acquired.

Like I said earlier, I became aware of the need for donations to our army due to the movies that we have watched in class, along with some of the discussions that we have had as a group. I think it is 100% true that we as a country do show our support to the military. But I think that we need to support in more ways that one, and that is just something that is needing to be worked on. A lot of times I think that people don’t really think about it, especially if they don’t have a direct connection to the situation such as a loved one enlisted. I know that it never really came to mind until one of the most important people in my life joined. As selfish as it sounds, it is kind of natural to over look something like this unless you or someone close to you is affected by it. That statement is true for many different situations, and this is just one of them that needs to be addressed and taken care of.