Michael - Watertown, Massachusetts

When the Democrats came to town in Boston for their 2004 Convention, I was excited. I knew it would put Boston on the map, proving the city could host a major national event. What I saw on the streets of Boston that week had frightened me. It was as if I was no longer in America any more, but rather communist China or even Nazi Germany. Protestors in cages dubbed as ‘free speech zones’.

Liberals and Democrats have been outspoken on the Bush administrations clamp on civil liberties and freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution yet they couldn’t even fully guarantee those rights for their national convention. Protestors in barbed wired cages resembling that of holocaust concentration camps is not free speech, it is not even American. Not even the Republican Convention had such regimental restraints. But that is not the only example of censorship during the convention. A cynical man fed up with nuisance caused by the convention, posted a sign on his local business saying “Thank you, Democrats for the mess.” He was forced to take it down once the mayor threatened to fine him on building codes regulations. I have only one word for the Democrats that deny free speech to their adversaries: hypocrites. I am not rescuing the Republicans for any hypocrisy they may have committed on free speech but I am asking both parties to take a look at there agendas.

It is all too often, that I have seen the left trying to censor subject that touch upon sensitive political correct issues. Certain taboo issues are covered up by the left and receive little attention in the mainstream media. How often does a full debate on affirmative action happen? Or better yet try challenging your science teachers take on the theory of evolution? I have gotten nowhere with this issues. My once found view of liberals as champions of free speech has disappeared. I now see not only the controlling aspects of the Democratic Party but the hypocrisy and silencing of certain issues by those on the left. You will not find healthy debate on these issues, but a one-way street ending up with only their views allowed to be presented. Sometimes, it is the party that claims to champion free speech that needs to reexamine its stances on the issues. For to claim to stand for a particular right but then denies it to those they disagree with is hypocrisy to the highest. I have witnessed this first hand in my daily life.

I hope that I can bring such hypocrisy out into the lime light. Those who claim to champion free speech should not try and deny it to others that disagree with there points of view. I believe there are issues of importance to this country that need to have a national dialogue on and it cannot happen if restraints are put upon what is acceptable to say. Real free speech, even insensitive to certain ideas, needs to return to this country.