Tyler - Gresham, Oregon
Themes: freedom

Choosing what beverage you want, choosing a burger you want at the fast food restaurant, choosing some fruit at the grocery store. I believe the ability to choose what you want to do, is one of the most valuable aspects of our culture. But this isn’t only about being able to choose, but also about being yourself, because I believe choosing and being yourself go hand in hand. It’s how we get our presidents, governers, congress members, etc. But that ability to be able to choose what you want has absolutely no value, if it doesn’t posess your own opinion and thoughts on why you chose it. Voting for which president you want is an extremely important decision to make, yet I see countless people at our high school who have political beliefs and values influenced by their own parents or the friends around them, which will ultimately cause them to vote for the less qualified candidate. People should choose based upon their own priciples and values that have guided them through their lives, but it’s funny to see those principles turn worthless, just so people can fit in with the majority. Where this is really apparent is politics, I hear it everywhere I go when I come to school everyday.

Every other day as I walk into my political issues class, we always have a few students speak about how terrible our current president is, and we have the same students agreeing, saying the popular “the Iraq war is wrong” statement. I would be fine with this, but the fact it has no backing, or their own personal opinion as to why the war is wrong, why we should get out, why the president has done such a horrible job, is a joke. Why not choose for your self based upon what you believe for once? But ironically the power to choose is also its weakness, because people choose to go along with the majority.

What I really hope for is in the next generation of kids, that this isn’t an apparent issue, although i’m probably kidding myself. It would be ideal to have people talk or debate intelligently on why or why not, who or who isn’t the better candidate, etc. when it comes to politics. When it comes to voting, it may seem obvious to vote for who you want, but alot of times it’s not like that at all. Like i’ve stated before, choices and opinions are often swayed and not of anyones own when it comes to voting, or any world or political issue. So don’t be afraid to stand up for what you believe in, make decisions in your life based upon what you believe in, whats guided you through life up until now.