Sarah - Clackamas, Oregon

I believe that no matter what, a country should be behind its leader one-hundred percent. It is commonly known that our president does not have a high approval rating, but I believe that especially with thousands of troops over seas, we need to stand united. Ever since September 11th, 2001, Americans have heard nothing but “united we stand, divided we fall.” I think it is time to stop talking and actually put into action our ideals as Americans. When the war began some years ago, we were hoping to end terrorism and start over with a clean slate. However, never has there been more anti-Americanism than right now. George W. Bush has admitted his mistakes, and it is too late to take back his actions now. Whether we agree with this war or not, we have to follow through with our actions, no matter what the consequences. The sooner we can get out of Iraq, the better. But, we can only accomplish our goals if we stand united as brothers and sisters. If we stand united as Americans. We need to support our troops who put their lives on the line everyday so what we may continue to know our free America as we always have. I would like to see any person who bashes our president spend one day as the president. I personally would not have voted for Bush to be reelected, but there is nothing that we can do about him being our president another term. There is no excuse for disrespect and inappropriate comments. It is sad to think that many children are growing up to learn the ways of hatred and resentment, rather than love and respect. Thinking back on all the schooling many of us have had, it would be unfathomable to think of disrespecting our teachers or our parents the way many Americans disrespect the president of the United States of America. Any time I have a fight with my parents or one of my siblings, I fume for a few days and then I am overcome with guilt and grief. You can never take back anything harmful you say to someone, and it is very disheartening to receive such bitter comments. I can hardly imagine what it would be like to multiply one bad comment times a million. I have the utmost respect for someone who can brush off all the negative comments received on a daily basis and still continue to do the job bestowed upon him. I believe that if more people realized this, we would be a stronger country. I believe that if we were all as good as we claim ourselves to be, we would be an admired country. I believe there is no other way to get out of the mess America is in, than to stand united as one.