Kelly - Happy Valley, Oregon
Themes: disability

I believe there is no such thing of life after trauma. Not the kind of trauma that one experiences at some point in their life, such as a car accident. Yeah, you’re shaken up a bit and for the next few days and you don’t want to touch your car for the fear of another occurrence. But the kind of trauma that sticks with you throughout your life and makes it difficult for you to live it the way you want to. The kind of trauma that makes it so hard to overcome, that it affects the way you think and react to everyday encounters.

Early in life, approximately at the age of seven, I have experienced one of these traumatic events. And even though I was at young age in life, it had affected the way I lived up until this recent year. Just one simple accident had changed my existence and the way I thought about life significantly. The death of a woman, that I didn’t know, had a severe affect on my youth. This trauma that I had experienced, held my hand through the many years of therapy and would never let me forget what had happened that night. I was soon diagnosed with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.

But my diagnosis and what I have been through during my years of adolescence has only scraped the crust of what true trauma is. Many people today suffer the same thing I have gone through, but in a greater affect. Most of the traumatic events that have occurred are from war. And even though many think that serving for our country is an honor, they don’t realize the influence it will have on them after they return. Only until after they arrive home and try to come back to their daily lives, will they realize how horrible these traumatic events will have an affect on them.

People think it is their determination to take action with honor and faith to work in service to their country. To listen to our bigheaded president, and serve in to what is the cause of the most leading deaths to the world today. Many troops go overseas, make friends, watch them die, and come home feelings hopeless and empty. That’s what trauma does to people. Thanks to one of the great affects Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder has on people.

Yet when you don’t think about it, many men and women have the same understanding as to what I have been through my entire life. Even though I was at a young age when my traumatic incident happened to me, and I have forgotten about most of these events, I know that it will still have a significant affect on me for the rest of my life. I just try and think how hard it is for people that have gone through their trauma at an age that they can’t forget.