Irwin - garland, Texas

This I believe

I believe in God. And after studying all the religions I could find, I found that they all say the same thing. They believe what I believe which is that God, by any name, is Omniscient (all knowing), Omnipotent (all powerful), and Omnipresent (all around us). So I believe that everything that is, happens by the grace and approval of God because to believe otherwise would be saying that God is none of these things. I could only believe in a God that is all of these things.

Because of this belief I see the value in every life and the value in everything. I try to be kind to the planet and kind to my brothers and sisters because everyone and everything is part of God. Like anyone else I lament loss when it occurs and rejoice when things go right. When I ask why things happen, I remember that my own intelligence and wisdom can’t compare with that of God.

When I think of God, I don’t think of someone who’d set a choice before me such that I could make mistake and then punish me for it. I think of a positive loving parent who’d protect me and guide me. When I hear people speak of God and speak for God I don’t think of absolutes, specific rules or rituals. Instead I look for and hear the universal truths invoking love, learning, acceptance, tolerance, freedom, and understanding for everyone and everything that might be different for myself. As I love myself, I love God, for I am part of God, and therefore I love and care about everyone and everything because they are part of God too.

I believe when we all love ourselves, God, and everything that God created, that war, conflict, crime and oppression will vanish from our lives, our differences will be immaterial, and we’ll rise up together to create a greater good that will indeed be the heaven that God has in store for us and wants for us. I think that’s what God is trying to teach us now. When we learn it won’t that be a great day indeed!