Maire - Glendale, Arizona
Themes: equality

I believe in uniqueness.

Everyone is different than they were yesterday, and the day before that. I believe everyone should be true to themselves. This doesn’t mean that because you are naturally dark haired that you can’t dye your hair. I am the master of having different colored hair than that which I was born with. If it helps you being confident with who you are, go for it.

My aunt Anne is the one who has made the biggest impact on me and helped me stay true to myself.

It was my family’s thanksgiving dinner and myself and 5 of my girl cousin’s were opening the chaffing dishes, when my Gramma asked about homecoming pictures. At first I was afraid to get my picture out because my family didn’t know my dirty little secret. I was hesitant but I brought the picture out. I showed aunt Anne my picture first. After what felt like a torturously long moment, aunt Anne looked at me with a smile on her face and tears in her eyes, said that I looked lovely, and if the girl standing next to me was my girlfriend. I nodded my head gently and began to cry. Aunt Anne held my chin and asked me why I was crying. I explained.

That was the moment I came out to my family. This isn’t the whole story, but that was the moment I decided that I could not live my life not being true to myself, because I am a unique individual. Almost like a seashell, they are no two seashells that have the same ridges or same colors in the same patterns.

Why sacrifice your happiness because who you are makes others uncomfortable? It’s detrimental to your health and well-being.

Be happy. Be you. You are beautiful.