Alisha - west Lafayette, Indiana

I believe in taking life one day at a time. Do not worry about the future or stumble on the past, just live in the moments as they come. As a new, frightened college student I often worry about how I will get everything done, and thinking about what all I have to do makes me want to hibernate until the summer just like a big grizzly bear. I often get excited for the relaxing weekends but then realize I have so much to get done before class Monday. The weekends become catch up for what I didn’t get done during the week.

Then one crisp clean night I couldn’t handle it anymore, sitting on the side steps outside of my house, trying to block out the active campus around me, bundled up in my sweats, I called my mom. She could hardily understand me through my falling tears and my panicky breath “Mom I can’t handle this anymore. I can’t handle all this college stuff, the papers, the readings, the endless math problems, the boring lectures. How the heck did you handle going to Purdue while working and raising four young children all by yourself? I can’t even image how hard it mush have been for you.” I somehow managed to spit out. “O, Alisha” She insisted, “You just have to take it one day at a time. Don’t waste your time thinking of all the stuff you need to get done or how much time you don’t have or anything else. Just think about today.” Instantly I felt better, like a calm wave just hit my body. I was relaxed and now ready for some much needed sleep. “Okay thanks, got it” And indeed it I had understood.

Now I’m not suggesting that you “Breeze on by one day at a time” or even the famous “Live everyday like it’s your last” You can’t do that, if today was really my last day on earth I would honestly not be in school right now. But, obviously I need to go to school everyday. I think you should live your life today but plan that there will be a tomorrow. My point is take everyday as it comes and treat everyday independently. Sometimes to get to class you just need to think to yourself, “Okay only today I have to go” but just tell yourself that everyday. My sophomore year of high school was pretty rough for me I had a lot of activities going on, I wasn’t getting the grades I knew I could get and was struggling with a lot of fatigue. I often had to use this strategy to just get out of bed, telling myself I just needed to get out of bed today.

Also don’t worry about yesterdays mistakes. There’s nothing you can do about past mistakes, just learn from them and move on. Everyday when you wake up just say to yourself “What do I want to get done today” I often think about things like “Today I’m not going to get in a bad mood” or “I’m going to be a better person today than yesterday.” Things like that help you focus on just today. Because that’s all that matters. Today.