Whitney - louisville, Kentucky

Do you believe the law gives justice to individuals that are victims of violent crimes? Have you or anyone in your family been a victim of crime? Everyone in this room has been affected by crime or knows someone who has been.

I believe that the law does not provide justice for victims of violent crimes. did you know that a person who robs a bank could serve more time than a person that commits murder or an act of rape? Men who kill wives in domestic disputes typically serve up to 75% less time than a woman who kills there husband in self defence?

Some crimes are worse than others, like crimes tha can hurt a person for a lifetime; that takes away something you can never get back, like murder, rape severe child abuse, or child molestation. I know this because I have been a victim of a voilent crime. I was the worst feeling in the world to be treated like I wasn’t even human, like I was nothing. What’s funny is even though i felt that durring the crime, the painful feeling has not gone away. Although the crime only lasted a short time, I still feel part of me has been erased. I would not wish it on my worst enemy. I was criticized because of something I had no control over. The parasite who stole my soul, served no time because he was a minor.

It hurt me really bad. In fact I was scarred with pain. I was over whelmed with anger so I had to go through therapy. At that time I could not trust any one. I hated people. When people would look at me I would be rude to them. When my brother would say something to me, I would tell him “go away, don’t talk to me, I hate you.” Apparently I was mad at the world. Fortunately, I learned that my anger was normal and it was just a symptom of my pain. Going trough therapy helped me manage my displaced anger.

Ironically, I am still dealing with the fact that I the same naive person I use to be and never will be again. That instinct of trust was stolen from me. Perhaps I would feel better if the perpetrator was locked up indefinitely? I think so. Even though, this journey has been hard to travel, it has strengthened me to persevere against all odds. I wouldn’t want this to happen to any one.

I am starting to get over the fact that this happened to me. But one thing that I got out of it is now I can encourage other people going through the thing I over came. Even though, it hurts to think about what happened to me. I know I went through that for a reason. My mom always tells me that god will not send me through anything I can’t handle. When I am old enough I am going to fight for the law to be stricter than it is. Right now victims are not getting the justice they deserve.

This is scornful! They should be in jail for more time then they serve. Some criminals even get off with a simple warning and they are set free, and never serve time for a crime that they committed. This is the pitiful truth about the law. People should not have to experience being ridiculed and defamed when going to school

work, church, or any other destination because of something some one else’s actions.

I believe that no matter what age a person is, if they commit a crime, they should have to pay for it. There is no excuse for any one to be murdered, raped, violently robed, or abused. A person’s Social status, Economic status, race, and sex should not have any thing to do with determining if they get justice or not. Often time’s individuals in law enforcement are privileged and receive more justice than a regular civilian. For instance, the penalty for murdering police officers is death. The penalty for murdering civilians is time served or life in prison rarely one gets the death penalty. We should all get the same justice. If you steal 20 years no bail, you rape some one 63 years no bail or if with out parole you kill some one life with no prow. The truth is there are no cures for some crimes except to remove these people away from society and this…. I believe.