Jennifer - Skowhegan, Maine

I Believe in Family

I believe in family. It doesn’t matter where they live or even if they are my friends. They are a huge part of my life. And no matter what I do, or what they do, we never turn our backs on each other. We let love keep us together. Family is my security blanket. They are the ones who I can run to with any problem and they will be there to warm me with a solution.

My family shows pride in me. They know how hard I work in school, and encourage me all the way. I am now looking at colleges, and my parents are taking me to all the open houses and meetings I need to go to. I am a role model to my brother even if he doesn’t want to admit to it. He has seen how hard I work for things I want in life, and he is beginning to do the same. He’ll ask me how I handle work and school. I simply tell him my work is very important to me. I make a devoted effort to do my best at both; I think it’s working out okay. He is almost sixteen now, and I tell him he can control a load like mine, because he is one of the brightest boys I know.

I have made many mistakes in my life. I have lied to my parents many times for the dumbest reasons. Even if it was things I knew I wouldn’t really get in trouble for. I learned the hard way that lying is not the solution. I have been grounded up to six months for being dishonest. My parents did that because they love me. I still have their trust today. They understand that I am no longer the little girl that I was. I am a mature, responsible young adult who manages money, works as a CNA part time, and goes to school full time. I tell my parents everything now even if I know they are not going to like what I say. Their love and forgiveness has taught me: honesty is the best policy. No matter how corny that may sound I live by it.

To be considered “family” you need to be there in one way or another, perhaps just a phone call. The family members I have contact with get together as often as possible even just for dinner. It just hasn’t been the same without my grandmother, who died three years ago. She was one of the most influential people in my life and still is today. I know she would proud to see how much I have accomplished since she passed.

Leaving to college is going to be a new adventure in my life, and I have my family to help me through it all. Even if I say, “I don’t need your help anymore”, they know different because they know me. And I thank them for that.