Katie - Chesterton, Indiana

I think that I have the best summer job. I work at a firework store, selling fireworks to various people. The best part of my job is the people that I have to work with and the people that I meet. I believe that it is not about what you are doing, it is about whom you are doing it with and the people that you encounter.

To start, people that you work with can make all the difference. Seeing a friendly face after a sixteen-hour workday can make the day little better. I had the joy of working with my best friends and other good friends. During these long workdays, after seeing these people for more than half the day, you create little inside jokes. Some examples that I can remember, is I would give friend of mine a sly eye and mouth “I’m watching you”. Also, with one of my mangers, we would give each other our own personal versions of an evil eye, which is us just looking at each other and try not to smile. These little things, as odd as they are, would make the time fly by. I would come in at eleven and it would be five before I knew it. What would feel just like a few hours later, it would be three in the morning and time for me to head home. Having these people around and connecting with everyone like I did made my not so glamorous summer job enjoyable.

Another joy of working with fireworks is the children that you see. You get parents with their kids who are just buying little things to make their kids happy. The best part of my job is that we are required to give away free fireworks with every purchase. So when I get kids in my line that have their parents with them but are buying their own fireworks…we load them up with free fireworks. Seeing little kids face light up then you just fill a bag full of free fireworks is another thing that helps out the day and makes me want to come back.

Also another perk of working at a fireworks store, it is that we have to look at peoples licenses so I can see where people come from. I like seeing where people are traveling from and where they are going. When you get people from California, you get to ask where they are from and then the story that comes with it. I have had people come from the same town as my lake house and have also been on my lake. It is finding something in common with a complete stranger that makes me happy at my job.

In the end, I believe that it is about the people around you. Despite my long hours and dealing with gun powder and punk dust, I love my summer job. I believe that it is because of all the people around me.