Alexandra - West Lafayette, Indiana
Themes: hope

Life’s Music

I believe that music surrounds every aspect of life.

Today, our world is surrounded by music. Students now are walking to class with headphones blaring rap and hard rock. Others, riding bikes, pass the band hall filled with the school’s choir practicing; other students are holding a conversation on a bench under the rustling leaves of an oak tree. I found that if I listened close enough, music surrounds every aspect of life.

Music has surrounded my world throughout my lifetime, from lullabies to children’s rhymes as well as songs during preschool. But it’s not just songs with words; the sounds of laughter, birds chirping outside of my bedroom window, and rain drops hitting our household roof, has always been music to my ears. My first true encounter of music was in my fifth grade band class.

After fifteen minutes, my face turns a reddish-purplish-blue as I try to make some sort of audible sound through a cold, metal object, otherwise known as the trumpet. Taking this foreign object in my hands, I try to make a single note using all of my wind-pipe strength, just trying not to pass out. All I get is a short, out-of-tune note. Heart racing, this single note has made me want to learn more about the different elements of music. From that moment on, I was forever hooked on music.

Music, I find, is a stress reliever and can always cheer me up when I am down. I am always surrounded by it, from waking up to the various buzzing and beeping of alarms in my Residence Hall, to the crunching of the earth beneath my feet as I walk to class while listening to the bell tower sing the time. It carries me through the hills and valleys I run weekly for sports, as well as keeping me in beat as each foot falls on the asphalt. It even gets me through the difficult times when I just can’t take anymore stress. Snippets of sounds remind me of many good memories, like the first time I played the trumpet. Learning the basics of tone, pitch and beat has helped me structure my life around music. It has always supported me and brought joy to my life.

Music is a large part of who I am and it always will be. I believe that music is a great way to express yourself through an instrument or a voice. It is also a good way to relax, reflect on the day, or take a break from our busy lives. Music can be found anywhere in nature, not just from an I-pod, CD player, or radio.

I believe that music can be found everywhere if you just listen for it.